By Monday of this week the tongue and groove had been replaced on the second floor. Thankfully, the crew had been able to pull it up and put it back down without damaging the boards!
Once the floor was put back into place, they moved onto framing the bedrooms and guest bath on the second floor.
Much of the week was spent working on the five layered roof system. First to go down was the tongue and groove that makes up the ceilings of the second floor and great room, over which was placed the first layer of roofing felt. That was followed by the layer of super thick insulation, followed by a layer of OSB and finally another layer of roofing felt. We’ll eventually have a tin roof placed on top of all of that.
With much of the major building complete, they began to work on smaller details.
We had heard from a few different sources, one of which was the Perma Chink rep at the Log and Home show, that log sealant should be used on the log ends…Mr. Lipham had never heard of such a thing nor seen anyone else seal their log ends in the 14 years that he’s been building log homes. Pretty sure he thought we were crazy for doing it, but we did it non the less. The log sealant turned out to be the consistency of Elmer’s glue and smelled remarkably like it as well. Actually, it ended up drying somewhat like Elmer’s as well. We’re now pretty well convinced that’s all it is.
Though Dave had stayed down at the work site till dusk several times, I had yet to be down there long enough to see what the sunset would look like from our deck. We had arrived so late the day we went down to seal the logs that I finally had my chance as we were just finishing when the sun began to set.
We are still completely amazed that in just over three weeks we’ve gone from having just a foundation to being almost completely dried in! Although the first estimate was to be done in 16 days, Mr. Lipman’s new goal is to be finished tomorrow which will be 25 days…only 9 day over….stay tuned to see if they meet that goal. 😉